Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Have you ever been to Hawaii?"

That was the very first question I was asked in my phone interview for this teaching job back in May. Of course I hadn't, so I said "No". Meanwhile I was thinking to myself- what a silly thing to ask in an interview!


Even after arriving here the first or second question out of everyone's mouths is, "Have you ever been to Hawaii before?" Again and again I reply, "No, this is my first time in Hawaii". All the while still mulling over in my head why people are so curious if I had been here previously.


Initially my internal reaction was to get defensive-- I didn't come here because I had vacationed here before and I thought working here would be like a vacation 24/7. 


Then after a few days it began to sink in....


You can't really understand or explain Hawaii until you have been here. It's not like a far away, foreign country where you can just say- oh they speak another language and do things differently. Hawaii is part of the United States, yet it's so unique. On top of native Hawaiians you have a whole slew of foreign peoples brought over to work in the sugar and coffee fields years ago- Filipinos, Japanese, Chinese, Korean to name a few - plus US military personnel, relocated mainlanders, and a very large number of tourists. There are so many languages and traditions and cultures and religions and family and social dynamics at play here. Everyone uses the American dollar and flies the American flag and speaks English, yet the culture and way of life in Hawaii is so much richer and more intricate and, frankly, different than the mainland. "Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth- everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." -Isaiah 43:6-7. 


Have you ever wondered why or how you ended up in a place? Almost every day I think to myself- what am I doing here? Then I remember the interview process and the prayers and I am reassured that I am supposed to be here. Almost every day walking on the street as the minority I am reminded of India, seeing homeless people everywhere I am reminded of Spain, after working in my dusty classroom and using hand sanitizer I am reminded of Mexico, riding the bus every day I am reminded of Germany. Isn't it crazy how God prepares you in ways you never could have imagined and for things of which you never would have thought?! "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." -Isaiah 42:16.


Even though this entry might seem a bit serious for a first entry, I really am loving Hawaii. I am learning to be more outgoing and honest and sort of making progress on asking for help....but I am pretty terrible at that. Sometimes all of the differences can be overwhelming, but Hawaii is so me. Such a mix of cultures to take in and immerse myself in, combined with so many fascinating people to get to know! Not to mention some pretty spectacular beaches, palm trees, and mountains! :)


I want to know from you- What is God preparing you for? What's the Hawaii in your life? What is God teaching you right now? 


Have you ever been to Hawaii?

2 comments:

  1. (This is from Todd, dear Bruder)
    Oh Sister. That Isaiah verse was no less than sick nasty. Can other people read this?

    Um my Hawaii would be stupid little Seward Ne and more importantly I suppose my life. I had a good talk the other day with a friend of mine about stuff and I realized that I beat myself up over everything.

    Anyway, once I named what was wrong, it's been easier to overcome it. This was the root of all my problems... how I couldn't make artwork, or feel comfortable, or sit still, or feel happy, or content. Things are going to be different now, I know it.

    Now that I am able to... discern.. to settle.. to be content... to see clearly... my training in sculpture has prepared me for the sculptures I want to make, my classes in painting have prepared me for the paintings I think I want to make. My training in poetry and writing has prepared me for the writings and books I want to write.

    My life has prepared me now for who I can be. Which is whomever I want to be. And whoever that is whill be fine.

    Now, my faith has been ever present during all of this. I didn't really pray for help, for I knew God was always with me. I didn't use Bible verses to comfort me, because I knew that God was always with me. God lives deep inside my veins, and instead of being something that I can show how He changed all these small things, know that just as the seed that fell among the fertile soil, I pray God take root in me, and grow strong and steadfast, rather than quick and fleeting. Amen.

    In my work (poetry, writing, painting, sculpture) I always sought to change people. This is a very tiring and burdensome endeavor. It's also one that I don't have to pursue, and I'm taking a break. By not overtly trying to change people I hope that this whill provide opportunities that I cannot conceive, for my mind is not omniscient, so rather than try and be God, I whill be something else. Life is more beautiful and more abstract than you could imagine. Let God be God. Allow Him enough room to work. That's kind of where I'm at.

    Have you been to yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes other people can see this and yes I agree that that Isaiah verse is sick-nasty! ;) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Praying for you, Bruder.

    ReplyDelete