I have come to the conclusion that I have spent the majority of my first weeks in Hawaii just trying to get comfortable. First it was with the bus. Then it was with my classroom. Then it was with my new apartment.
Very soon to come are...with my new students. With the staff at school. With all the new people I am going to and have already met.
Ongoing will be...with the culture here in Hawaii. With the idea of being a real teacher.
Part of me wants to skip all this adjustment business and dive head first into the "I´m-so-at-home-here-I-think-I´ve-been-here-30-years" feeling.
And yet...
I´ve met plenty of those people. Here. At home. At college. I think I´ve even been that person before. Is that who I want to be? Actually, I don´t think so.
Have you ever been in a new place and just taken a step back and realized how much you have learned in such a short time? How much you´ve grown and changed? That´s what I´m doing right now. WOW.
I´ve come to the final conclusion that I don´t want to be comfortable. I want to be always aware. I want to be open to change. I want to retain at least part of the "uncomfortableness" I feel now. I want to grow. I want to improve. I want to be challenged and tested.
"Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything...Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." -James 1:2-4,12.
The best news of all?
No matter what change or turmoil or struggles or peace and joy and comfortableness we have in our lives, one thing never changes-- God and his love for us. "So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid." ... Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever." -Hebrews 13:6a,8.
No comments:
Post a Comment